THIS recipe is another favourite – so much that I almost cook it on a weekly basis. It is quick, deliciously spicy, has quite a kick and is filling. What more could you want?! Pasta Puttanesca means whores pasta…I am not sure why and to be honest I don’t really care it is just too good!
What you need:
- 1 can of copped tomatoes
- 3-4 anchovy fillets (can or glass) – finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoon of capers
- un-pipped black olives – cut into rough chunks
- pasta (I use Penne or Farfalle)
What to do:
- Heat a pot to a low to medium heat & add some olive oil. Add the garlic, anchovy & chilli flakes. Fry for a a couple of minutes. The anchovy will start to ‘melt’ & you will be left with a sort of past. Now add the can of tomatoes & simmer.
- Bring a pot of water to he boil & cook the past according to the instructions.
- Just before the pasta is ready add the capers & olives to the tomato sauce. Taste the sauce and add salt & pepper if needed. You should not need a lot of salt due to the anchovy.
- Put the pasta on a plate & add a generous amount of the Puttanesca sauce. You are done!
The better the olives the better the sauce! I get mine from an off-license around the corner form where I live. The quality of the olives truly transforms the sauce!
Another thing is important – do not worry about the anchovy! I normally do not like them at all & would never eat them in salad or on pizza. If you are only starting out with eating anchovy add only 1-2 fillets to the sauce & see if you like it. Next time you can always add more if you are feeling brave. In this pasta sauce the anchovy add a unique saltines & a very special savoury taste that is simply delicious!
I urge you to try this – I am sure you will love Pasta Puttanesca just as much as I do!
Enjoy & Guten Appetite,