Hello & Hallo,
As mentioned before — I LOVE porridge🥣 😋! It is warming, keeps you full for a long time & just makes me happy. Recently I have been playing with adding not just oats but other grains & flakes like quinoa, buckwheat & brown rice.
The Brown Rice & Oat Porridge with Tahini & Figs is my new favourite! It feels like such a treat & is the prefect start to the day!
Read on for the recipe…
What you need (1 serving — ca 260 calories):
- 10g Whole Rolled Oats (not the quick oats but whole oats — I use Sainsbury’s)
- 25g Organic Brown Rice Flakes (I got mine at Planet Organic)
- 50ml Milk of choice (I used Plenish Cashew Milk)
- Spices to taste — I added ½ tsp cinnamon & a pinch of ground cardamom
- Sweetener of choice (optional — I used Agave)
- 1 fresh Figs
- ½ tsp Tahini
- 1 tsp Sunflower Seeds
What to do:
- Toast the sunflower seeds in a dry saucepan until they are light golden. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan toast the oats & brown rice flakes until they are golden or browned. This give the porridge a really rich & roasted taste.
- Add ½ cup water & let the porridge bubble & ticken. Cook for 5 minutes. Add water as & when needed.
- Once the porridge is getting to the consistency you like add the milk & spices. Cook for another couple of minutes.
- While the porridge cooks cut your fig. I sliced 3 thin slices (as we say in German “das Auge isst mit” / “they eye eats as well”) & coped the rest of the fig.
- When the porridge is ready pour it into a bowl. Top with the tahini, fig & roasted sunflower seeds.
Your done! Dig in 😃
This porridge is also really nice with sesame seeds instead of sunflower seeds. I used water & milk as I think this makes the consistency nice. I like my porridge not too runny.
What is your favourite porridge & topping?
Guten Appetit & Enjoy!